I´m sure especially during this season you are looking for more indoor actives, therefore today I will introduce you to 3 diy´s that the kids I used to look after loved.
Self made PLAYDOH.
This was an all time favourite for the 2 kids I used to look after, we could seriously do that every week and not get bored of it! But of course, you don’t have to do it every week ;).
Here comes the super easy recipe: 2 cups of plain flour, 1 cup of salt, 1tbs oil, 1 cup of cold water, 2 drops of liquid food colouring.
Here´s what you do:
- You mix the flour and the salt.
- You mix the water, oil and food colouring.
- You mix the first 2 together (everything).
- Knead it and have fun!
The kids can help with all these steps (if they are old enough) and they love it! If you are short of food colouring. Doesnt matter, you can still go ahead and do it. The kids will love it anyway. It´s just fun and you can play with the “play doh” as soon as your done with the dough.
Self made PLAYDOH-SOAP.
I call it playdoh soap, because it is soap and you can use it in the bathroom, but the cool thing is that it is soap that you can form and squeeze like play-doh. It is not solid.
What you need:
9 table spoons cornstarch, 6 tea spoons any shower gel or liquid soap, food colouring, 3 table spoons “Fluff” (its this marshmellow stuff in a container)
What you do:
- You take 3 table spoons of fluff and mix it with 6 tea spoons of liquid soap.
- Next you add 9 table spoons of cornstarch.
- Knead it.
- When you feel that you have a good consistency, hence it doesn´t stick to your hands anymore, but you can easily form it, then you can break it into as many pieces you like and knead different colour into it.
- You can keep your soap in the shape of a ball or the shape of a normal piece of soap or you can be creative and make it into something else.
This is also a nice gift idea. To be honest when I did it, we didn’t have “Fluff” and it worked somehow. So don’t worry, just do it 🙂 The kids loved this one too and they gave it to the parents as a gift.
Self made BATH-BOMBS.
These bath bombs are pretty cool and I really enjoyed making them with the kids, but I must warn you- this is an activity for older kids. It requires steady hands, patience and more ingredients than the previous 2 examples.
What you need:
1 cup bi-carb soda, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, 1/2 cup citric acid, 1/2 cup epsom salts, 2 1/2 teaspoons essential oil, 1 teaspoon water, 2 teaspoon oil, food colouring of your choice, 2 clear plastic ornaments.
What you do:
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Mix all wet ingredients.
- Mix 1. and 2. together, however only put drops of the wet ingredients into the dry mix and keep mixing. I recommend watching this video.
- Press mixture into clear plastic ornament.
- Once you get it out of the ornament, place it somewhere safe, it needs to dry for 24 hours.
I personally think this is an awesome DIY, also a cool christmas gift, but like I said only for older kids or do it in your free time with your friends. I did it only once with the kids and then I still had so many ingredients left over, that I did it 2 or 3 times with friends. But it was fun! Definitely watch the video, it makes it easier to understand.
I hope you enjoyed this post. Don´t forget to check out my book anywhere on Amazon and please comment any cool diy´s that you have done with your host-kids!